This post is sponsored by The Home Depot.
Last week I had the opportunity to attend Haven Conference, a three-day networking event for DIY bloggers.
As part of the conference I pitched a 5k living room renovation to The Home Depot.
Now here's the crazy part...
wait for it...
Yes... I was one of two winners for the 5k tier of the Orange Tank Competition. Did I mention this is my first (paid) brand partnership?
Guys, I have never been so happy in my entire life. Well, maybe except those times when my kids were born and the day I got married, because that is what a sane person would say 😂
Three hard years of work finally coming to fruition!
Ready for the details? Let's just see a "Before" shot of the space so you know what we're working with.
Enter: my sad, dark living room.
Pictured below is the wall where our television used to live. After many
heated arguments calm discussions, my husband finally agreed to move the television to the mantel on a trial basis.
I've already painted some of our foyer a lighter color and it made such a difference! Next I'd love to add some thin brick detailing above and through the arch, perhaps something from Old Mill Brick.
Now let's talk about my vision for what this space could be.
Light, bright, airy, refined country cottage.
I've got $5,000 to make this my dream space. I'd love to rip out the carpeting and put hardwood floors throughout the entire lower level, but sadly that would eat up my entire budget (and then some).
I think I can save a lot of money on the rest of the room just by tackling the nitty gritty myself. However, I will have to hire out a local electrician using the Home Depot's Pro Referral marketplace app.
Here are some of the other projects planned:
- Painting the walls my go-to Chantilly Lace by Benjamin Moore
- Replacing all the window trim similar to what I did in our dining room
- Spray paint remaining chrome on fireplace surround, then adding a brick overlay.
- Demo colonial trim on fireplace, add 2x4 frame above mantel with electrical box
- Drywall new bump-out above the fireplace
- Add a photo gallery wall on the wall opposite fireplace
- Have additional can lights installed
- Add either faux beams or coffered ceiling beams with trim inlay
- New stacked crown molding throughout the room
- Built-in bookshelves on either side of the fireplace
- DIY blue velvet tufted ottoman
- New fully-rotating TV mount and larger TV (personal purchase)
To make sure I don't go over budget I'll be using The Home Depot's Project Calculator at various points in the process. I can also use their app to keep a running tally of supplies so that I don't have to even think about it when I'm in the store.
I need to have this project completed within two months. It's a long list, but I think I can do it.
I'm going for a Modern Farmhouse meets English Cottage vibe. I want exposed beams, brick accents, and light/bright/airy walls with small pops of color.
If you've been following Top Shelf for some time now I just want to hug you and thank you so much.
For project updates in real-time head on over and follow me on Instagram!
For more living room inspiration check out Morgan over at Palmetto Highway – she also won the Orange Tank and is collaborating with Home Depot to revamp her living room for $1k!