Alright here we go, the last installment of this fireplace build!
To recap, here are parts 1 and 2:
Now we can focus on the area above the fireplace. I really wanted to build that area out to give it some dimension and to create a single focal point. Prior to this, we had an ugly TV unit on one wall and our fireplace on the other.
It was mostly just a matter of framing out the area with 2x4s and adding drywall.
The TV Bumpout: Tools and Materials
- 2x4 studs
- Miter saw
- Kreg jig
- 2 1/2" pocket hole screws
- (2) 4'x8' sheets of 1/2" drywall
- Joint compound mix
- Drywall T square
- Utility knife
- Drywall screws
- Drywall tools: mud pan, joint knife, sandpaper
- Latex paint in Eggshell, Chantilly Lace
- TV Mount (the one we purchased is out of stock 🙁
- 65" OLED TV
Fireplace bump-out construction
Before anything else, we needed to secure the TV mount and center it on the wall above the new mantel. Once we did this, I was able to build out the surround with 2x4s. I secured the 2x4s to the ceiling joists with 3" screws; the 2x4s were secured to each other with pocket hole joinery.
The last step was to enclose the area with drywall. I used a T-square to mark a straight line across the surface, then scored the line with a utility knife. Once I scored the line I just snapped it across my knee like a kid looking for punishment!
Next, I secured my drywall to the studs with drywall screws. I applied metal corner braces to the outside corners.
The last step was filling in all the seams with joint compound mix and to sand, sand, sand until everything was nice and smooth. Then I added a coat of Benjamin Moore's Chantilly Lace in an eggshell finish.
And that was it! The hardest part was sanding and all the drywall dust created by the sanding.
Ready for more? Check out all of the other projects in this renovation series, including the final reveal!
- Painting the Chrome Finishes (Week 1)
- DIY Black Inset Windows (Week 2)
- DIY Cast Stone Fireplace (Part 1) – Demo & The Hearth (Weeks 3-4)
- DIY Cast Stone Fireplace (Part 2) – The Mantel (Week 5)
- DIY Cast Stone Fireplace (Part 3) – Mounting the TV (Weeks 6-7)
- The Coffered Ceiling (Week 8)
- Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring (Weeks 9-10)
- Modern Farmhouse Living Room Reveal!