Tequila, shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate, especially when paired with a ripe citrus fruit.
Sorry, I tend to wax poetic when I've had a few of these...
Take it from me when I say this drink will help you forget that you're on a diet. It's sweet, sour, and salty in all the right places. Kind of like... me 👸
This drink utilizes four simple ingredients, including my go-to Keto Simple Syrup. One glass is 132 calories and 6.8 grams of carbohydrates. Thanks to the lime and grapefruit, it's packed with essential nutrients like vitamin C, fiber, potassium and calcium.
I mean, it's practically a superfood in a glass.
Ready to build one for yourself?
Ingredient do's and don'ts
DO: amp up the citrus notes by adding more grapefruit juice and lime juice to your glass to increase its volume.
DON'T: add seltzer water or club soda, as this will water down the drink and quite frankly ruin it.
DO: use fresh squeezed fruit for the best flavor profile.
DON'T: use gold or cheap tequila (if at all possible!)
Here's what you'll need to make the perfect glass.
- fresh grapefruit juice
- 1.5 oz of keto simple syrup; I use allulose-based sugar to make mine.
- silver tequila
- fresh lime juice
- salt for rim
- Rim the edge of your glass with a lime and dip in salt. Set to side.
- Combine grapefruit juice, lime juice, simple syrup, and tequila into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake for at least 30 seconds for a nice cold drink!
- Strain into your salted glass.
- Add lime wedges, grapefruit wedges, or even cucumber slices for garnish! The more color, the better.
Will alcohol throw me out of ketosis?
Drinking alcohol pauses ketosis. Your liver stops burning fat to do the more important job of clearing toxins from your body.
It breaks down alcohol into acetate, which can be used as a form of energy.
If you consume a lot of carbs while drinking, ketosis will be further delayed because your liver will use those carbs for energy before it taps into the body’s fat stores.
Sticking with low-carb cocktail mixers ensures that ketosis will resume shortly after your body is done metabolizing alcohol.
What is the best alcohol to drink on the keto diet?
The best keto cocktail recipes use clear spirits 80-proof or 40 percent ABV. This includes gin, vodka, silver tequila, whiskey, and clear rum. A 1.5oz serving of these liquors will net 0 grams of carbs and 100 calories.
You'll want to pace yourself, though – alcohol tolerance decreases while on a ketogenic diet.
Common keto cocktail substitutions
- My favorite zero-carb simple syrup recipe!
- Make keto White Russians, Black Russians, and Brown Cows using my low carb homemade coffee liqueur.
- Top your morning coffee with this decadent keto whipped cream.
- Lemon citrus more your thing? This Covid Cocktail can be made with lemon juice ice cubes and bubbly Prosecco.
The Keto Paloma
- 2 tbsp grapefruit juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 oz silver tequila
- 1.5 oz simple syrup made with keto sugar replacement
- 1 dash margarita rim salt
- Make your keto simple syrup in advance, keep in refridgerator.
- Line the rim of your glass with lime and dip in salt. Set to side.
- Add ice, grapefruit juice, lime juice, tequila and simple syrup to shaker.
- Shake for approximately 30 seconds and strain into your salt-rimmed glass. Use remaining grapefruit and lime as garnishes.
If you make this recipe please tag #topshelfie on instagram! I love seeing your creations and hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
Question 132 calories per serving says the nutrition facts.. what is considered a serving?
Erin Devine, RN BSN
One full glass is one serving.