Keto dieters, take heart: coffee liqueur is still on the table.
While traditional Kahlúa packs a whopping 16.7 grams of carbs per 1.5 oz, this version has zero carbs and tastes just like the real thing.
Coffee liqueur is used in many delicious cocktails, including:
- White Russians (liqueur + vodka + cream)
- Black Russians (liqueur + vodka)
- Brown Cows (liqueur + cream)
- Chocolate Martinis
- Spiked Hot Chocolate
- Spiked Iced Coffee
The key to a delicious knockoff coffee liqueur is fresh ingredients: organic coffee beans, quality white rum, and keto syrup made from allulose or erythritol.
Be sure to check out my post on all of the keto simple syrup options available on the market! I prefer the allulose-based versions, but there are many others in case you like liquid Stevia or Swerve.
I love a creamy White Russian before bed!
Here's how to make this keto-friendly liqueur.
- 1 cup of keto sweetener syrup
- 1 cup of strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup of white rum
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- (optional) 1 1/4 cups of vodka
- Make your keto sweetener syrup by mixing your sweetening powder with hot boiling water. Continue to mix until the powder is completely dissolved.
- Add coffee to saucepan. Let cool, then add your rum and vanilla.
- Using a funnel, pour into a glass bottle and let sit in the fridge for one day.
White Russian vs. Black Russian
This recipe makes at least 8 servings of liqueur, meaning you'll have plenty of opportunities to try it in different cocktail recipes. If you're planning to make White Russians or Black Russians go ahead and add 1 1/4 cups of vodka to your liqueur before pouring it into your glass bottle. You'll have your Black Russian 100% ready in advance.
The standard Black Russian is two parts vodka to one part coffee liqueur served on the rocks.
Add heavy cream, and you've got yourself a White Russian.
To keep this drink keto friendly be sure to use heavy cream, unsweetened macadamia milk, or unsweetened coconut milk when making your White Russian!
Keto-Friendly Coffee Liqueur
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup allulose-based sweetener
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee (or one shot of espresso)
- 1 cup rum
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Make your keto-friendly simple syrup by heating water and sweetener in a saucepan. Continue to stir mixture on medium heat until crystals have dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Brew one cup of strong coffee or shot of espresso. Add to your saucepan.
- Add rum and vanilla. Funnel mixture into a close-gap glass container and let sit in fridge overnight.